Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fryums

I've made these before to great success, but today I made rice fryums with once-ground rice flour and a mix of canola/coconut oil. Usually I double-grind my rice flour. I also added coconut oil to the frying oil (usually canola), thinking that it would raise the smoke point for the frying oil -- my canola oil starts to smoke when I'm frying these guys.

The fryums were hard, not delicately crunchy like usual, and they didn't expand as much. Was it the oil or the flour???? I dumped out the oil and fried another batch in straight canola, like usual. And they turned out fine. PHEW! 'Cause I'd made a double-batch.

I'm using this recipe: http://www.4thsensecooking.com/2012/09/rice-flour-fryums-vadaam-odiyalu.html
But mine don't come out as nicely as hers. Maybe I need to add more water... Still, my kids like them, which is great!


Here's the batter

Here they are on a drying rack for
my dehydrator

Here they are dried and ready to fry


And here they are fried. Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment