Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sandwich bread!

At last! Glory be! I've found a sandwich bread recipe TM will eat! I'm so so so excited, you have no idea. It's worked 3-4 times now, so we're good to go!




It's modified slightly from http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/3074/sandwich-bread-gluten-free-recipe

I tried the recipe in Gluten Free Baking Classics multiple times, adding extra flour, rising it super-slowly, or twice, or not at all...it always fell a little, and turned dry at the drop of a hat, and TM never liked it. I even got a kitchen scale so I could weigh the flours. Well, maybe she liked it once, right out of the oven. I think I tried it about 15 times. FAIL.

But when I found the Land-o-Lakes recipe, hooray, it actually worked!! I've adjusted it by using canola oil instead of butter, and I'm very sloppy on the starches. I re-calculated measurements based on weights listed in The Allergen-Free Cook Bakes Bread so I could get the amounts right. And I added a little more milk (almond milk).

1C +2T warm almond milk
1/4 C sugar (don't skimp...it needs this much)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 1/2 C gluten free flour blend (see below) = 403g
1 tsp salt
1/4 C canola oil
2 large eggs

From Land-o-Lakes:
Combine milk, sugar and yeast in small bowl; set aside 10 minutes. 

Combine flour blend and salt in large stand mixer bowl; beat with stand mixer on low speed, gradually adding yeast mixture until well combined. Add
[oil] and eggs; beat, scraping bowl occasionally, until well mixed. Increase speed to high; beat until batter is very smooth (about 3 minutes). 

Cover, let rise in warm place 1 hour. 

Grease 8x4-inch loaf pan [Or use parchment paper folded into the pan, it's awesome]. Stir dough; pour into pan, leveling top. Loosely cover with greased plastic food wrap; let rise until just above top edge of pan (20 to 30 minutes). 

Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Bake for 42 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove bread from pan; cool completely on wire rack. 

Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour = 316g, 2/3 cup potato starch =128g, 1/3 cup tapioca flour =40g and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. So basically 168g starch...I just dump in whatever I have on hand. Lately it's been cornstarch and tapioca starch. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment