Sunday, July 6, 2014

Berry seeds and bathroom shelf

I have enough pictures for another post! And since Q broke his arm last week, we're spending a lot of time at home.

I collected some huckleberry, salmonberry, and Indian plum seeds! I'm really excited to get them germinating in the fall. I've wanted these plants on my balcony since we moved here. Here are some pictures of my seed-cleaning method:
Huckleberries
Mashed seeds

Cleaned seeds
These look nothing like the seeds I ordered from VanDusen Garden a couple years ago, which explains in part why those didn't sprout, and why the Saskatoon berry seeds I ordered turned into willow trees. At least the bald-hip roses I grew from VanDusen seed are growing nicely and do look like bald-hips, though I won't really know 'till they flower.

I have them in packets in a drawer to after-ripen, and in Sept or so I'll put them on wet ppr towels in little boxes in the fridge to germinate.

I finished building an over-the-toilet shelf for the bathroom! I made it almost completely from scraps, gluing together some of them for bigger pieces. It was my first attempt at using my new Kreg Jig, which was pretty cool! And I got to use my new orbital sander, which was really fun. My new-to-me miter saw made the cuts a lot easier but they weren't quite as clean as I would like. Here's the final picture (it's attached to the wall to keep it from tipping over):
And here are various in-progress pictures:
Planer shavings! I love planing, so long as I keep it sharp.









No comments:

Post a Comment